Here are some interesting facts about Fallingwater.
- Description: A mountain retreat for the Edgar J. Kaufmann family of Pittsburgh, owners of Kaufmann's Department Store:
- Residents: Edgar Kaufmann Sr. (1885-1955), Liliane S. Kaufmann (1889-1952), and their son, Edgar Kaufmann jr. (1910-1989). The home was owned and used by the Kaufmann family until 1963, when it was entrusted by Edgar Kaufmann, jr., to the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy.
- Design and construction: Designed in 1935 by American architect Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959) The main house constructed 1936-38, followed by the guest house construction in 1939
- Final cost: $155,000 (Included $8,000 architect’s fees, and $4,500 for installed walnut furnishings)
- Square footage: The main house uses 5,330 square feet. (2885 sq. ft. interior; 2445 sq. ft. terraces) while the guest house uses 1,700 square. feet.
- Paint Colors: Wright's desire to create a unified and organic composition limited the color palette at Fallingwater. Only two colors were used throughout: a light ochre for the concrete and his signature Cherokee red for the steel. PPG Pittsburgh Paints has worked with Fallingwater to develop eco-friendly paints that withstand the environmental challenges of the site. They have also created a series of colors inspired by the building and its surroundings. For more information click here.
- Visitation: 4.5 million people since opening our doors in 1964, with 160,950 in 2011.
- Preservation: The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy has preserved Fallingwater since 1963, with a major structural repair in 2002 strengthening Fallingwater’s cantilevers to prevent collapse and future deflection.
- Surroundings: Surrounded by the WPC’s 5,000 acre Bear Run Nature Reserve.
- Fallingwater was featured on the cover of Time Magazine, January 1938
- Fallingwater is the only major Wright-designed house to open to the public with its furnishings, artwork, and setting intact
- Frank Lloyd Wright once suggested that the house’s concrete surfaces be coated in gold leaf.
Mr. and Mrs. Kaufmann Facts
- Edgar and Liliane were married on June 22, 1909
- Liliane could read 3 languages: English, French, and German
- Edgar developed a dairy which is now the Barn at Fallingwater
- Liliane raised long-haired dachshunds
- During WWI, Edgar was a 1st lieutenant in the First Field Artillery
- In 1934, Liliane was elected president of Montefiore Hospital in Pittsburgh
- In 1928, Edgar made the first direct Pittsburgh to Paris telephone call to enquire about a designer dress.